Thursday, May 19, 2011

Montgomery Theater, Too

If you read our brochure this year you might have noticed that Montgomery Theater, Jr. is now Montgomery Theater, Too. Yes, that means we're growing up, but it doesn't mean the essence of what we do has changed. Just like MTJ before it, MTT offers opportunities for young people to perform in professionally-produced musicals and plays.

No matter what the name is, you always know when one of our Project Stage musicals is about to open because our office staff becomes prone to breaking out in song and the green room is filled every afternoon with rambunctious adolescent performers. The energy of these student actors pervades the whole building and reminds everyone why it's so much fun to watch young actors work. The enthusiasm and excitement these kids exhibit can't be matched by the most trained actor in the world. And following a young person through the years as she develops her skills and turns into a polished performer is hugely satisfying.

As Guys & Dolls is set to open, I've been hearing snippets of "Fugue for Tinhorns" (I had to look up the title, but I'm sure you know the song), "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" and of course "Adelaide's Lament" as people walk by my office. I can't wait to hear the real thing this weekend. I hope you'll join me!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say Guys and Dolls was excellent. My family will be going back to see it a second time. Adelaide and Sky were our favorites.
    What great performances they gave. The entire cast did a great job. We will be back to see other shows this year for sure!

    ReplyDelete